Friday, August 1, 2008

Teens From Good Homes Steal Girl Scout's Cookie Money

Well, I'm here sooner than expected. But I'm in SHOCK! I'm sharing a video with you today that completely blows me away and further confirms what is happening to our future.

Our young women are accepting a set of standards that are COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

I realize that these 2 teens are not necessarily typical of young women growing up today. But what many parents do not understand is, these ideas and values are far more accepted by kids now than adults are ready to believe.

"My daughter would never participate in..."

"My daughter is completely against..."

"My daughter says she will be a virgin when she gets married"

I've heard them all. I've heard them just days or weeks before I got the call for help with that same daughter who is now pregnant, in jail, on drugs, or the like.

We need to wake up. Our kids want to please us. They don't want to tell us things we don't want to hear.

We must provide a safe place for them. By that I don't just mean a safe home, I mean a safe set of ears. We must be consistent. We must listen from the heart, not just wait for our turn to lecture. We must set boundaries and stick to them. Most of all, we must love them no matter what.

Watch this 3 minute video and please take a minute to leave your comments in the comment section.


If you like this blog, please click the "digg" button at the top and use the "share" button. These actions will help us reach our goal of 1 Million Young Women in 2008.

Thank you for your time.

Blessings and Peace,
Heather Olson

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good LORD! Where in the world do our children get this warped sense of propriety from? Anything you want is YOURS??? I don't think so. If I was the parent of either of those girls, their behinds would be locked down and grounded for a LONG time. And they probably should have been years ago and running. I don't even let my boys SAY things like "That's mine" or "I should have...". We work and cooperate with others for what we get and keep in this world. It doesn't just come because we will it. Wake up, kids!

Heather Olson said...

Paige, I see it everyday with the girls that come into The Empowered For Life program and I'm still completely shocked.

These girls not only showed NO remorse, they felt CHEATED!?? Huh?

I can only hope that the lessons they've just chosen for themselves is a clear wake up call for them and for their parents.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Heather

Ron Scarbro said...

As a father and a grandfather, viewing the video broke my heart. My sadness come from the realization that these two girls are probably lost forever. They are what is called feral youth. They have no sense of compassion or concern for anyone but themselves. Their only destination, if they live to adulthood, is prison for life. This is ,to me, the result of very poor parenting and it is probably too late for these two. Kids don't come with an instruction manual but it doesn't take a mental giant to recognize out of control children. Unfortunately they are not alone. As you know we have more than our share here in Minneapolis. The other sad fact is that young people who do well and become good citizens will have the expense of housing these morons for life. If you are a parent reading this, make sure your children know that they are loved. They should never have to guess or to wonder. They should know.
Ron Scarbro

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, "Good" homes doesn't seem to fit the bill if they have no home training! Obviously socioeconomic status doesn't necessarily determine good or bad behavior.

I'm disgusted by this. I agree w/ everything the others have said in their comments...my goodness... It amazes me that they didn't even spend a mere few minutes in jail. :(

Carol

lisa said...

The fact that these girls were allowed to go on on TV and glorify their crime is just as bad as the crime itself. Where are their parents. The only way my children would be seen would be visting hours only in the local police department.Disgusting!

Anonymous said...

Terrible video - how did this form of rationalization creep into our society? Were our parents shocked by the things we did too? Unfortunately, this type of justification is fixing to get worse with economic downturns, gas prices, water wars, etc...I find myself staying home more...

Linda Mae said...

I don't get where the media decide to share this story with other teens and glorify the whole event. What type of message is this sending?
When they say "good homes" I'm guessing what they are referring to is affluent. So does that mean these teens were rasied to worship money? What's good about THAT?

Bill Hutchins said...

I have to agree with some of the other comments here, "good home" is not related to economics. What is a shame is seeing two young girls who have obvious advantages that do not appreciate the opportunity. This type of incident is usually held as an example of the failure of schools or some other social network that many feel is responsible for raising our children. The truth is the parents should be more directly involved in these girls lives. I would assume, as it was not stated explicitly, that there are 2 working parents that are more involved in their careers than their children. I do understand the need for 2 working parents in many households but it baffles me that our generation, who should have learned better from the preceding one, would put our wants before the needs of our children.